Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Vocation

For the past few weeks our church, has been doing a “Work Series”. It has been so good for me to hear and really have been enjoying it. If you are wondering what kind of work or vocation that God has called you to do, I would encourage you to listen to the series.

Per Wikipedia - A vocation (from Latin vocare, meaning "to call"[1]), is a term for an occupation to which a person is specially drawn or for which he or she is suited, trained, or qualified. Though now often used in non-religious contexts, the meaning of the term originated in Christianity.

When I was young I thought about being a teacher or a nurse and even a flight attendant. It was not until I was in high school that I really had a desire to be a stay at home mom.

I was married a year after high school and was so excited about being a mom and a wife. Three years later though “my dream” fell apart. My husband decided to walk away from the marriage and there was nothing I could do. I thought, "What am I going to do now? Who is going to want to be with someone that is divorced? I was only 22 years old!

A couple years later I met George and my world changed completely. The way we met and came together is another story entirely. God definitely had His plan in all of it.

George has a son from a previous marriage and at first was thinking “This was not what I had planned for being a mom”. God definitely used that time to teach me, as well as mold us together as a family. It took us many years to get pregnant and I was still wondering what God's plan was for me.

I continued to work in jobs that I was really unhappy doing, especially since I felt my calling was to be a stay at home mom.

John Mark spoke a couple of Sundays ago about how Jesus was twelve when he felt a calling to be with His Father at the temple, but it was not until He was thirty that He knew what He was called to do. John Mark talked about how it will take time for God to show us what it is that He would have us do.

He also spoke about how waiting for God to show you where you are suppose to be, and that we are to take every job that we are given and do it “well”! Oh, how I wish that I could have heard that along time ago. I think it would have really changed my perspective on things.

Now, I am a mother of three in the throws of Diapers, breaking up fights, runny noses and up all hours of the night. There are times that I think, "Am I really making a difference?"

There are many Sundays that I go to church and listen to John Mark speak and think to myself...."God has called him and blessed him in amazing ways in his speaking." He is incredibly talented and does his job WELL! The thought also came to my mind is, how proud Diane Comer (his mother) must feel to see him up there doing what God has called him to do. She has done her job WELL and now she can see the fruits of her labor!

I am not sure where my kids will be twenty years from now, but I look forward to seeing what God is going to have them do. It gives me a new excitement to enjoy each season and each day that I have with my kids and not to hurry it along.


I love my vocation!









How could I not love what I do when looking at this pictures! What's God teaching you right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment