Monday, July 22, 2013

Gabriel's Bedroom - Military Theme

I have been in the processes of splitting up the twins.  I was a bit hesitant at first wondering how they would be when they were split up.  They have been together for as long as they have existed. I can only count a couple times that they have been apart from each other!

This is one thing that we really need to work more on is spending time individually with the kids.

Now that I am just getting to writing this post they have be apart for a week.  I have to say that it was the perfect timing because it couldn't have gone any smoother.  Gabriel is so excited about having his own room and the girls are so happy to be together. Praise God!

So...... here is the room when the twins were together.




This is my decorating skills prior to Blogs and Pinterest.  I could not figure out how to decorate a girl/boy room for the life of me!  This is the best that I could come up with.   Oh, and that bright green wall drove me crazy.  I painted it and hated it but did not have the energy to do something different with it. (painted this right before Eva was born)

Needless to say I was so excited to finally be able to decorate all BOY and all GIRL!

Here is a photo that I pulled off of Pinterest that gave me my inspiration for the room.



I pretty much loved everything about this room, minus the railroad sign.

So, I began my search to find things that were similar.

I went to an Army Surplus store to find some wool green army blankets for the end of the bed.  I was only able to find grey ones and they were $40 each.  I was not ready to spend that much on blankets for the end of the beds.  I continued to look and came across some green ponchos.  I thought they would work so I bought them at $10 each.  As I was leaving the surplus store, that is when I came up with the idea of going with a military theme in his bedroom.

Gabriels has had so many men in his family serve in the military, that I thought it would be cool to put pictures up of all the men in their military uniforms.

So, this is what I came up with.  I still need to do the wall of pictures and one other thing that I want to add to the wall but it is going to take a bit of time to get all the pictures together so I thought I would post what I have done so far.


The wall all painted and sooo much better!





Gabriel in one of the ponchos! My little man is so cute!

 Here it is all together!







I just love the way it turned out!  I figure this room will last him a long time. I was not sure if he was going to like it but he LOVED it!



I found this plane at Home Goods and this is his most favorite thing of the room.



This cart was a Craigslist find!


I got this metal tub at Home Goods too.


 Here is the poncho at the end of the bed.  I love the way this looks instead of the wool blanket.



 I got this basket at Home Goods to store some of his books.



This is the wall that I am going to do the picture gallery on.  Once I get them all hung I will do an updated post.


 Before
After

Here's a little video of him seeing his room for the first time.



I can't wait to complete his room! ***Update:  Check out the the DIY Frame and map that I did for this room HERE***




Linking up with






8 comments:

  1. Wow! The poncho is perfect! Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from IHeart! The room looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a great make over! I really love that you found an inspirational image and made it your own. I totally know what you mean about pre-Pintetest decorating skills! I hope to do that same as you with our new nursery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from the I Heart link party. I, too, am a twin mama! My twins turn 3 in October and we are giving them their "big kid" rooms for their birthday present. So fun to find this post. I love your son's new room and will be heading to Home Goods asap looking for that cute airplane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw this on iHeart and HAD to comment. I love this room so much. It's spectacular. I want it for myself, let alone my boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks Great! Where did you find your quilts and orange throw pillows?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! The orange pillows are from Home Goods and the quilts are from Ikea.

    ReplyDelete