Saturday, July 27, 2013

DIY Frame & Map

I got another project done in Gabriel's room that I wanted to share with you.  The room is finally coming together.  I just have one more project for his room and I will be done.

One of the walls in his room is large and bare and wanted to get something on there to cover the wall.



I found this map off of School House Electrtic awhile ago that I have loved. I thought it would go perfect in Gabriel's room with the colors that he has in there.


This picture does not do the colors justice.  It really is a beautiful map.  In order to get this map framed in a rustic frame from the store I think it would have cost about $350!!  Ouch, there is no way we could afford that.  So I decided to make my own frame.


This was a DIY project that was a little more difficult then I thought dealing with cutting the angles just right on the wood to make a picture frame.  I did have a few gaps but I think it adds to the character.



So here's the frame that I made.  I just got pine wood at Home Depot and stained in with a walnut stain.  I added some L brackets to add a rustic/industrial look to it.


 I was not sure how I was going to hang it.  I added a couple hooks on the back of the frame.  The only problem I had was that the wood was a little bowed.  I added some 3m command velcro strips to make it stick to the wall but that was not totally working either.  I then added some poster putty to it and that has helped.  




Here is it!






1 comment:

  1. Maps make the coolest art! Love it! You did a great job on the frame.

    ReplyDelete